Looks like XFL will now return in 2023

Join the discussion about the St. Louis BattleHawks of the XFL.

Moderator: STLtoday Forum Moderators

Hezek
Forum User

Looks like XFL will now return in 2023

Post by Hezek »

No explanation for the delay... they simply put it on their web page.
https://www.xfl.com/
pablohoney
Forum User

Re: Looks like XFL will now return in 2023

Post by pablohoney »

I think it's pretty obvious why. No need for an explanation.
Cool Papa Con
Forum User

Post by Cool Papa Con »

Hezek wrote: 10 Aug 2021 18:57 pm No explanation for the delay... they simply put it on their web page.
https://www.xfl.com/
XFL Adds Executives from NFL, NBA as League Prepares for 2023 Restart
The XFL has appointed several members of its executive team as it prepares for its return in 2023.

Longtime NFL executives Russ Brandon and Marc Ross are among nine hires chosen to lead the comeback for the alternative pro football league, which shut down amid the coronavirus pandemic.
The fans are angry & loud. They want the blood of their enemies. It costs $10 at the concessions. That is too much
todd-parker
Forum User

Post by todd-parker »

The USFL is planning for a season in spring of 2022. Will be interesting to see what happens if they make it to 2023. Don't think there is enough demand/available capital for two spring football leagues.
Hezek
Forum User

Post by Hezek »

todd-parker wrote: 10 Nov 2021 08:43 am The USFL is planning for a season in spring of 2022. Will be interesting to see what happens if they make it to 2023. Don't think there is enough demand/available capital for two spring football leagues.
XFL is going to need a TV contract of some sort. Have not heard who is carrying the USFL games.
LwtnTigerZ
Forum User

Post by LwtnTigerZ »

If USFL has its season in 2022, they get a first mover advantage of sorts. It will have center stage for a season, if it can put together some good teams. If major league baseball has a delayed start to season due to labor disputes, this could give USFL an early boost.

If XFL puts it together for 2023, it may be able to pick up good players from struggling USFL teams to go with XFL alums. Can be problem for USFL if players walk away from the cellar teams.

Then, two possible scenarios for 2023:
* XFL comes back strong, and USFL never gets going because of residual problems (like hemorrhaging major $$) from rough 2022.
* Fans have a USFL + XFL spring, a big financial drain on both adventures. Then, some sort of merger will take place between strong USFL and XFL teams, with the fizzle franchises evaporating.

Hard to be more specific without a look at both leagues' bylaws. The investment capital portfolios and financial pro formas would also give us some clues.
Mnrlgrey
Forum User

Post by Mnrlgrey »

LwtnTigerZ wrote: 25 Jan 2022 22:00 pm If USFL has its season in 2022, they get a first mover advantage of sorts. It will have center stage for a season, if it can put together some good teams. If major league baseball has a delayed start to season due to labor disputes, this could give USFL an early boost.

If XFL puts it together for 2023, it may be able to pick up good players from struggling USFL teams to go with XFL alums. Can be problem for USFL if players walk away from the cellar teams.

* XFL comes back strong, and USFL never gets going because of residual problems (like hemorrhaging major $$) from rough 2022.
* Fans have a USFL + XFL spring, a big financial drain on both adventures. Then, some sort of merger will take place between strong USFL and XFL teams, with the fizzle franchises evaporating.

Hard to be more specific without a look at both leagues' bylaws. The investment capital portfolios and financial pro formas would also give us some clues.

A huge disadvantage for fan draw for the USFL is going to be that it's being played in one location - I think the HOF stadium in Ohip and that location doesn't even have a team itself. Who are crowds even going to cheer for and how many will they draw?

I don't know if they plan to expand to the actual cities they've listed as home teams in 2023 but if they don't, and there's any league overlap, I imagine the XFL will dominate in those markets.

The big advantage the USFL has is that it's owned by Fox so it always has that broadcast partner. But I wouldn't be surprised to see them quickly jump ship if the league fails, which I imagine it has a high chance of doing so without any actual home venues.
Cool Papa Con
Forum User

Post by Cool Papa Con »

Mnrlgrey wrote: 26 Jan 2022 17:58 pm
LwtnTigerZ wrote: 25 Jan 2022 22:00 pm If USFL has its season in 2022, they get a first mover advantage of sorts. It will have center stage for a season, if it can put together some good teams. If major league baseball has a delayed start to season due to labor disputes, this could give USFL an early boost.

A huge disadvantage for fan draw for the USFL is going to be that it's being played in one location - I think the HOF stadium in Ohip and that location doesn't even have a team itself. Who are crowds even going to cheer for and how many will they draw?

I don't know if they plan to expand to the actual cities they've listed as home teams in 2023 but if they don't, and there's any league overlap, I imagine the XFL will dominate in those markets.

The big advantage the USFL has is that it's owned by Fox so it always has that broadcast partner. But I wouldn't be surprised to see them quickly jump ship if the league fails, which I imagine it has a high chance of doing so without any actual home venues.
I agree.

The fans are angry & loud. They want the blood of their enemies. It costs $10 at the concessions. That is too much
Hezek
Forum User

Post by Hezek »

Cool Papa Con wrote: 28 Jan 2022 08:31 am

I agree.

Not playing games in home cities doesn't make sense... especially with a relatively new league. Where are they expecting the fans to come from?
Cool Papa Con
Forum User

Post by Cool Papa Con »

Hezek wrote: 17 Mar 2022 06:38 am
Cool Papa Con wrote: 28 Jan 2022 08:31 am

I agree.

Not playing games in home cities doesn't make sense... especially with a relatively new league. Where are they expecting the fans to come from?
Apparently Alabama’s infamous family tree.
BrummerStealsHome
Forum User

Post by BrummerStealsHome »

USFL scheduled to kick-off on Easter weekend.

New Jersey Generals at Birmingham Stallions, April 16, 7:30 p.m. ET, FOX, NBC, Peacock

Houston Gamblers at Michigan Panthers, April 17, noon ET, NBC, Peacock

Philadelphia Stars vs. New Orleans Breakers, April 17, 4 p.m. ET, USA

Tampa Bay Bandits at Pittsburgh Maulers, April 17, 8 p.m. ET, FS1
28mm05
Forum User

Post by 28mm05 »

BrummerStealsHome wrote: 31 Mar 2022 10:47 am USFL scheduled to kick-off on Easter weekend.

New Jersey Generals at Birmingham Stallions, April 16, 7:30 p.m. ET, FOX, NBC, Peacock

I could not give a [shirt] about the USFL, stupid setup with a league full of teams in NFL markets playing a hub city.

However my patience is wearing thin with the XFL. Stop teasing [shirt] and give us real news. I'm bored senseless of the league, the Rock and his ex wife keeping us hanging. Even eventually when they do release news it better be good or people will get bored of feeling underwhelmed and strung along with small drips of info.
4thDown
Forum User

Post by 4thDown »

28mm05 wrote: 31 Mar 2022 14:04 pm
BrummerStealsHome wrote: 31 Mar 2022 10:47 am USFL scheduled to kick-off on Easter weekend.

I could not give a [shirt] about the USFL, stupid setup with a league full of teams in NFL markets playing a hub city.

However my patience is wearing thin with the XFL. Stop teasing [shirt] and give us real news. I'm bored senseless of the league, the Rock and his ex wife keeping us hanging. Even eventually when they do release news it better be good or people will get bored of feeling underwhelmed and strung along with small drips of info.
11am presser planned for today. We will see.
28mm05
Forum User

Post by 28mm05 »

4thDown wrote: 06 Apr 2022 07:55 am

And nothing again. Losing interest now.
DJ Davis
Forum User

Post by DJ Davis »

28mm05 wrote: 06 Apr 2022 10:41 am
4thDown wrote: 06 Apr 2022 07:55 am

And nothing again. Losing interest now.
Extremely lame. No news, just cliches and buzzwords.