2021 CFP Rankings

St. Louis Post-Dispatch and STLtoday.com sports editors Roger Hensley and Cameron Hollway are your hosts in this forum for sports fans who want to share opinions and seek answers.

Moderators: Sports Desk Moderators, STLtoday Forum Moderators

lacucaracha
Forum User

Re: 2021 CFP Rankings

Post by lacucaracha »

bobfreeber wrote: 21 Nov 2021 11:03 am They HAVE to have Cincy 4th this week right?
No. It could be Michigan.
bobfreeber
Forum User

Post by bobfreeber »

formallyBlue77 wrote: 18 Nov 2021 13:29 pm I don't see any path for Notre Dame to get in.
I do. I'm not saying it will or should, just that in theory (and basing off past playoffs) I suppose possible.

It would take:
- Georgia beats Alabama
- OSU (or Mich) wins out
- Cincy wins out
- OK / OSU (OK) split

That would leave:
#1 undefeated Georgia
#2 one-loss OSU or Michigan
#3 Undefeated Cincy

Who's #4? It can't, CAN'T be Alabama. That would be the committee telling Georgia, "hey congrats for beating Alabama last week. Now go play them again."

Utah is playing great right now, but they've got three losses. No way UTSA gets a shot, but everybody else has multiple losses. I think if those things happen, ND could get in (assuming they win out).

I think the CFP could follow suit with the AP poll & bump OSU up to #2 this week.
formallyBlue77
Forum User

Post by formallyBlue77 »

bobfreeber wrote: 22 Nov 2021 08:07 am
formallyBlue77 wrote: 18 Nov 2021 13:29 pm I don't see any path for Notre Dame to get in.
I do. I'm not saying it will or should, just that in theory (and basing off past playoffs) I suppose possible.

It would take:
- Georgia beats Alabama
- OSU (or Mich) wins out
- Cincy wins out
- OK / OSU (OK) split

That would leave:
#1 undefeated Georgia
#2 one-loss OSU or Michigan
#3 Undefeated Cincy

Who's #4? It can't, CAN'T be Alabama. That would be the committee telling Georgia, "hey congrats for beating Alabama last week. Now go play them again."

Utah is playing great right now, but they've got three losses. No way UTSA gets a shot, but everybody else has multiple losses. I think if those things happen, ND could get in (assuming they win out).

I think the CFP could follow suit with the AP poll & bump OSU up to #2 this week.
Putting the best 4 teams in the CFP's should be the goal.
It depends on the SEC CG. If UGA blows out Bama, then no I wouldnt put Bama in the CFP's, however if its close game and Bama losses, yeah I would put them in, even with 2 losses.
But at the end of the day out of the Team's with 0-2 losses,
(Notre Dame, Cinci, Ok State, OU, Michigan, Baylor, Oregon, Iowa, Houston, UTSA, Ole Miss, Michigan State. BYU, Pitt, Wake Forest, San Diego State, Louisiana)
Every one of these teams would get destroyed by Bama. Ohio State and UGA are the only 2 that would beat them.
bobfreeber
Forum User

Post by bobfreeber »

formallyBlue77 wrote: 22 Nov 2021 10:10 am
Putting the best 4 teams in the CFP's should be the goal.
It depends on the SEC CG. If UGA blows out Bama, then no I wouldnt put Bama in the CFP's, however if its close game and Bama losses, yeah I would put them in, even with 2 losses.
But at the end of the day out of the Team's with 0-2 losses,
(Notre Dame, Cinci, Ok State, OU, Michigan, Baylor, Oregon, Iowa, Houston, UTSA, Ole Miss, Michigan State. BYU, Pitt, Wake Forest, San Diego State, Louisiana)
Every one of these teams would get destroyed by Bama. Ohio State and UGA are the only 2 that would beat them.
Would you put two-loss Alabama in as the #3 or #4 seed?

And what do you qualify as "get destroyed" as? 10+ points? It should be noted that Alabama beat Florida by two points, lost to A&M, and beat Arkansas by seven points.

So if all of those teams would get destroyed by Alabama, then why is there a rush to expand the playoffs? Clearly four teams is enough.
tobefirst
Forum User

Post by tobefirst »

I fully understand that the people in charge are looking for the four *best* teams even though I don't think they've come right out and said it, but as a very casual college football fan with no affiliation to any of the traditional powerhouse schools, that makes me sad.

(Of course, I also have an issue with leagues calling the award the "most valuable player" when what they really often mean is "most outstanding player.")
bobfreeber
Forum User

Post by bobfreeber »

Just looking at Cincy more, it's certainly no lock they're going to win out. They probably should, but let's look at a scenario where:

- Cincy loses a game
- Alabama loses to Georgia
- Ok / OSU split

What's the field then?
#1 Georgia
#2 OSU / Michigan
#3 Uhh
#4 Uhhhhhh
bobfreeber
Forum User

Post by bobfreeber »

Cincy cracks the Top 4, but the question is can they hold that spot? If OK St wins out, I could absolutely see them jumping Cincy in the final poll (assuming Alabama beats Georgia & both stay in the Top 4).
Rosthol
Forum User

Post by Rosthol »

Ok.
bobfreeber
Forum User

Post by bobfreeber »

Amazing Saturday.

OSU loses.

Alabama survives Auburn.

OK / Ok St shaping up to be a good ending.
Rosthol
Forum User

Post by Rosthol »

Had Alabama lost ND might have been in.
lacucaracha
Forum User

Post by lacucaracha »

bobfreeber wrote: 27 Nov 2021 20:27 pm OK / Ok St shaping up to be a good ending.
And with the Pokes winning, we don't have to watch this again.
rezero
Forum User

Post by rezero »

Well as it stands today here is ESPNs take.

Georgia, Bama, Michigan, Cincy as the top 4 in that order…..OkState and ND are the next 2.

If Georgia loses they are still in and Bama is replaced by Ok State assuming they win (with ND 5 and Bama 6). So if anyone of the others lose including Ok State, they are replaced by ND.

If multiple ones lose, Bama jumps back in.
"Under Democrats, man exploits man.......under Republicans, it is just the opposite"
Rosthol
Forum User

Post by Rosthol »

rezero wrote: 28 Nov 2021 22:08 pm Well as it stands today here is ESPNs take.

Georgia, Bama, Michigan, Cincy as the top 4 in that order…..OkState and ND are the next 2.

If Georgia loses they are still in and Bama is replaced by Ok State assuming they win (with ND 5 and Bama 6). So if anyone of the others lose including Ok State, they are replaced by ND.

There you are.
bobfreeber
Forum User

Post by bobfreeber »

rezero wrote: 28 Nov 2021 22:08 pm Well as it stands today here is ESPNs take.

If....

Alabama & OK State lose (and Michigan & Cincy win), I think it's clear the Top 3 is:
1. Georgia
2. Michigan
3. Cincy

The question becomes the #4 team. Is it ND, Alabama, or Baylor? I don't think it's a given that it's ND.
bobfreeber
Forum User

Post by bobfreeber »

Looping back to the end of Alabama / Auburn.

Nessler wouldn't let it go (and rightfully so), but the decision for the Auburn RB to not go down in bounds on 2nd down was fatal. It pretty much cost Auburn the game.

But Auburn absolutely should have gone for two at the end of the 1st OT. Given their play-call in the 3rd OT in which they converted their 2 PT conversion, they had a great play call.
4thDown
Forum User

Post by 4thDown »

bobfreeber wrote: 29 Nov 2021 07:22 am Looping back to the end of Alabama / Auburn.

Nessler wouldn't let it go (and rightfully so), but the decision for the Auburn RB to not go down in bounds on 2nd down was fatal. It pretty much cost Auburn the game.

But Auburn absolutely should have gone for two at the end of the 1st OT. Given their play-call in the 3rd OT in which they converted their 2 PT conversion, they had a great play call.
Sorry to sidebar this Bob, but just curious if you saw how Lincoln Riley's new contract at USC looks like. I mean, holy hot bed of contracts. If this is the standard going forward..oh my. Also, why would someone need two homes in Norman Oklahoma?

I'm now raising my daughter to become a college head football coach. Although, hopefully the SEC. :P
Lincoln Riley USC contract details (not confirmed; best I could do):
- $110 million
- USC buying both his homes in Norman for $500,000 over asking ($1 million bonus)
- Buying a $6 million home in LA for him
- Unlimited use of the private jet 24/7 for family