What’s a good family dog that doesn’t shed?

Moderator: STLtoday Forum Moderators

pablohoney
Forum User

Re: What’s a good family dog that doesn’t shed?

Post by pablohoney »

St LouieLouie wrote: 10 Jan 2021 13:49 pm
brokeu91 wrote: 10 Jan 2021 12:32 pm Hello,

My family and I are looking for another dog, we had to give away our last one because she kept snapping at our little children at home. Does anyone know of a good family dog that doesn’t shed? My wife has allergies, so we need one that would not shed much. Thanks in advance.
Black labs are nice.
Very friendly and smart.

Pitbulls are super smart and as sweet as can be. Can't go wrong with a pit!
Cannonball
Forum User

Post by Cannonball »

If you want a dog that is very smart and fun to have, get a Cavapoo. They do not shed and are easily maintained. Our Cavapoo does about a dozen tricks and is very popular in our neighborhood since she obeys so well.

In 2018, the Green New Deal was introduced to the House. By 2028, the life on this earth will end if we do not make changes. Let the countdown start. Al Gore predictions? ROFLMAO
AtillaTheBlue1
Forum User

Post by AtillaTheBlue1 »

lab
acco40
Forum User

Post by acco40 »

My family and I are looking for another dog, we had to give away our last one because she kept snapping at our little children at home. Does anyone know of a good family dog that doesn’t shed? My wife has allergies, so we need one that would not shed much. Thanks in advance.
These dogs are guaranteed not to snap nor shed and are hypoallergenic!

Edson
Forum User

Post by Edson »

Well I can tell you from experience it isn't a bloody German Shepard. Most loyal and loving dog I have ever had but goodness does this thing shed. [shirt] comes off in tuffs. "They only shed twice a year" they told me. Yes, winter coat for 6 months, summer coat for six months.
Heads we win, tails we coup.
AtillaTheBlue1
Forum User

Post by AtillaTheBlue1 »

Labs are always great family dogs

Aussie Sheppards are really good, but they can herd small children. Just a natural habit.
Big Walt
Forum User

Post by Big Walt »

I would go with a Boxer, Pitbull, Rottweiler, Doberman or a Rhodesian Ridgeback....all good family protectors, loyal and shorter coats.
Self-loathing soy-boy liberals have the same emotions, feelings and patriotism as angry black birthing persons.

I have natural immunity from democrat stupidity.
acco40
Forum User

Post by acco40 »

Some that have not been mentioned yet . . .

Bedlington Terrier

Löwchen

Kerry Blue Terrier

Lagotto Romagnolo
TheNinthSamurai
Forum User

Post by TheNinthSamurai »

Get yourself a hairless cat.
Enward Van Halen
Forum User

Post by Enward Van Halen »

Edson wrote: 30 Jul 2021 09:33 am Well I can tell you from experience it isn't a bloody German Shepard. Most loyal and loving dog I have ever had but goodness does this thing shed. [shirt] comes off in tuffs. "They only shed twice a year" they told me. Yes, winter coat for 6 months, summer coat for six months.
I have 2 of them. The robo-vac can run 24/7 and not make a dent in the all year round shedding.
Enward Van Halen
Forum User

I have a Maltese that doesn't shed. The tradeoff is constant bathing and grooming.
Great dogs though
PSHS Dad
Forum User

Post by PSHS Dad »

TheNinthSamurai wrote: 23 Sep 2021 13:57 pm

If you're giving up on a dog, get a turtle of fish. No hair, no shots, no walks, no craapp in the yard. If it dies, toss it and get a new one.
acco40
Forum User

Post by acco40 »

Bighorn66 wrote: 20 May 2021 10:19 am
acco40 wrote: 19 May 2021 12:38 pm There is a misconception about allergies and dog hair. What causes the allergic reaction is the dog's dander and to a lesser extent their saliva and urine. Hair rarely if ever causes an allergic reaction. That said, a dog that sheds a lot may be bothersome to some who like a well kept house at all times.

So do you really want a dog that doesn't shed (don't like hair left around the house) or are you (or your wife) more interested in the allergic reaction?
Also, Dogs shed dander. Mites eat dander. Mites [shirt]. It dries out and can become airborne. Many humans are allergic to mite poop.
Dust mites eat dust. What is dust? Primarily in the home - human dander (shed skin cells). So, if a human is allergic "to mite poop" as you stated so eloquently, having a dog is the least of their worries.
acco40
Forum User

Post by acco40 »

PSHS Dad wrote: 25 Oct 2021 20:13 pm
TheNinthSamurai wrote: 23 Sep 2021 13:57 pm

If you're giving up on a dog, get a turtle of fish. No hair, no shots, no walks, no craapp in the yard. If it dies, toss it and get a new one.
Heck, why not one of these for a pet. Again, no hair, no shots, no walks and no craapp in the yard and unlike a turtle or fish, they don't die either!

Enward Van Halen
Forum User

Cute as [fork] and great with the kids

ChiefSTL
Forum User

Post by ChiefSTL »

Got a Shih Tzu last year. I wasn't a big fan of getting a small dog, but the wife wanted something small enough that could come places with us. She's been a fantastic dog. I haven't seen any shedding over the year we've had her. My wife and daughter have cat allergies, but haven't had an ounce of problems with the dog. She's very playful, but also very chill when we're done playing. No barking unless we are playing with her. Super smart, my daughter has taught her about every trick in the book.

I was a little worried about the small dog yappy/spastic personality traits, but our Shih Tzu has none of that. We have ours groomed about every 6-8 weeks. That's really the only maintenance we've had.