What’s a good family dog that doesn’t shed?

Moderator: STLtoday Forum Moderators

brokeu91
Forum User

What’s a good family dog that doesn’t shed?

Post by brokeu91 »

Hello,

My family and I are looking for another dog, we had to give away our last one because she kept snapping at our little children at home. Does anyone know of a good family dog that doesn’t shed? My wife has allergies, so we need one that would not shed much. Thanks in advance.
St LouieLouie
Forum User

Re: What’s a good family dog that doesn’t shed?

Post by St LouieLouie »

brokeu91 wrote: 10 Jan 2021 12:32 pm Hello,

My family and I are looking for another dog, we had to give away our last one because she kept snapping at our little children at home. Does anyone know of a good family dog that doesn’t shed? My wife has allergies, so we need one that would not shed much. Thanks in advance.
Black labs are nice.
Very friendly and smart.

Jesus replied, “No one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again.” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7_S2eRl ... re=related

Preaching Christ Crucified 24/7.
brokeu91
Forum User

Post by brokeu91 »

St LouieLouie wrote: 10 Jan 2021 13:49 pm

Black labs are nice.
Very friendly and smart.

Thanks. Do they shed much?
PSHS Dad
Forum User

Post by PSHS Dad »

Labs are very cool dogs. I have never owned anything but mixed breeds from the pound or from a friend. All lived long lives. The only lab story I have is from my next door neighbor. They bought a black lab puppy. Went to work one day and forgot to latch the crate. The pup chewed all four legs of a French Provincial coffee table to the size of pencils. But it was one of the coolest dogs. Guy up the street from me has a chocolate lab. Gorgeous. From my experience around them, I would rate them with Golden Retrievers.
St LouieLouie
Forum User

Post by St LouieLouie »

brokeu91 wrote: 10 Jan 2021 14:02 pm

Black labs are nice.
Very friendly and smart.

No, not at all.
They are also extremely loyal.
Jesus replied, “No one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again.” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7_S2eRl ... re=related

Droge100
Forum User

Post by Droge100 »

Miniature Schnauzers are very smart dogs and they don't shed at all. They make good household pets.
St LouieLouie
Forum User

Post by St LouieLouie »

Get a Samoyed and a vacuum cleaner.
Best combination. :lol:

The Nard
Forum User

Post by The Nard »

See if you can find any around: https://breedingbusiness.com/hairless-dogs/
"Can't anyone here play this game?"
Tony Palazzolo
Forum User

Post by Tony Palazzolo »

Goldendoodle, labradoodle....any kind of doodle. We had a goldendoodle and they are fantastic family dogs. You won't get an ounce of protection out of them. But they want to please you and always be near you.
Clark Kimble
Forum User
Location: Trump Yuniversiddy: Incredible! Beautiful! Tremendous! Fantastic!

Post by Clark Kimble »

We lucked into adopting a Glen of Imaal Terrier (no, I never heard of it, either) from our local shelter after he was rescued from an awful hoarding situation. He is the closest thing we've ever had to the perfect dog. He's equally sweet/affectionate with us and our other dogs; gentle with our birds when they're on the couch or floor, and is cordial with friendly visitors; yet he's ferociously protective and powerful when he senses danger. Built low to the ground with a gorgeous, wavy coat we brush once every couple of weeks, and very laid-back demeanor. Because of that low center of gravity and great power, do not get in his way when he's running!
ORANGE LIES MATTER.
bluesXwinXtheXcup
Forum User

Post by bluesXwinXtheXcup »

My dog doesn't shed and is hypoallergenic.

It's called a shih-poo.

There isn't a bad bone in that dog's body. Sweetest dog I've ever owned. The only downside is that it won't protect you and has zero athletic abilities.
"My screen name! My screen name!"
Bighorn66
Forum User

Post by Bighorn66 »

St LouieLouie wrote: 10 Jan 2021 14:16 pm
brokeu91 wrote: 10 Jan 2021 14:02 pm

Black labs are nice.
Very friendly and smart.

No, not at all.
They are also extremely loyal.
Huh? Labradors shed and they shed a lot. Buy pants that match their color and most people won’t notice. And they get the farts really bad if you don’t control their diet. I had a yellow lab years ago. Sweetest dog in the world.

Labs are fantastic dogs but they require exercise and a lot of attention. .

https://www.loveyourdog.com/labradors-shed/
Bighorn66, the original St. Louis Rams fan.

Ignoring fools since 2012.

acco40
Forum User

Post by acco40 »

There is a misconception about allergies and dog hair. What causes the allergic reaction is the dog's dander and to a lesser extent their saliva and urine. Hair rarely if ever causes an allergic reaction. That said, a dog that sheds a lot may be bothersome to some who like a well kept house at all times.

So do you really want a dog that doesn't shed (don't like hair left around the house) or are you (or your wife) more interested in the allergic reaction?
Bighorn66
Forum User

Post by Bighorn66 »

acco40 wrote: 19 May 2021 12:38 pm There is a misconception about allergies and dog hair. What causes the allergic reaction is the dog's dander and to a lesser extent their saliva and urine. Hair rarely if ever causes an allergic reaction. That said, a dog that sheds a lot may be bothersome to some who like a well kept house at all times.

So do you really want a dog that doesn't shed (don't like hair left around the house) or are you (or your wife) more interested in the allergic reaction?
Also, Dogs shed dander. Mites eat dander. Mites [shirt]. It dries out and can become airborne. Many humans are allergic to mite poop.
Bighorn66, the original St. Louis Rams fan.

Ignoring fools since 2012.

acco40
Forum User

Post by acco40 »

Bighorn66 wrote: 20 May 2021 10:19 am
acco40 wrote: 19 May 2021 12:38 pm There is a misconception about allergies and dog hair. What causes the allergic reaction is the dog's dander and to a lesser extent their saliva and urine. Hair rarely if ever causes an allergic reaction. That said, a dog that sheds a lot may be bothersome to some who like a well kept house at all times.

Also, Dogs shed dander. Mites eat dander. Mites [shirt]. It dries out and can become airborne. Many humans are allergic to mite poop.
In fact, dust is really dander which is sloughed off dead skin cells - mostly from humans in our home.