Does anyone own a Pit bill?

Moderator: STLtoday Forum Moderators

Enward Van Halen
Forum User

Re: Does anyone own a Pit bill?

Post by Enward Van Halen »

Paper Lanterns wrote: 10 Jan 2021 17:14 pm I recognize this thread doesn't get a lot of traffic but thought I'd respond. I may have a bias because I am an owner of a pit bull and I have a child; I also recognize that apparently even owning a pit bull makes some of the posters here "shake their heads" at me or "leery of" me. That's fine, but I'd like to present my side.

Pit bulls are on every list of dangerous dogs - Okay. Which lists are these, and can you share them (please don't include BuzzFeed or other silly listicles that just crowdsource anonymous internet users)? Because I have a list of my own: the list of organizations that acknowledge no breed is inherently dangerous and no breed, including pit bulls, is more or less likely to harm you:

* American Dog Owners Association

* American Humane Society

* American Kennel Club (AKC)

* American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA)

* American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA)

* American Working Dog Federation

* Association of Pet Dog Trainers

* Best Friends Animal Society

* Centers for Disease Control

* Humane Society of the United States (HSUS)

* International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants

* International Association of Canine Professionals

* National Animal Control Association

* National Animal Interest Alliance

* National Association of Dog Obedience Instructors

* National Canine Research Council

* No Kill Advocacy Center

When pits turn on people it sometimes is fatal and most times is serious and disfiguring - This has nothing to do with likelihood of attack and more to do with strength of attack. Yes, pit bulls are strong, thus a bite from one will incur more damage. But why aren't you starting threads about, or criticizing owners of, Mastiffs, Rottweilers, Bulldogs or German Shepards, who all have stronger bites than pits? (https://www.timeforpaws.co.uk/s/dogs-wi ... bite-force)

And that leads me into society/media bias - When I was a kid in the 90's, the "most dangerous dogs", at least according to society and the media, were Rotts and German Shepards. Why? Because that's what Hollywood and the press told us. In fact, that same Hollywood and press told us that pit bulls were great dogs. They were featured as corporate mascots and used in American recruiting posters in WWI and WWII. They were nicknamed "nanny dogs" because of their patience around and affinity for children (remember the Lil' Rascals? Yep, their beloved dog was a pit bull).

Now as we shift into the 00's, pit bulls are the new "most dangerous dog". Don't believe media bias is a thing in regards to dogs? The documentary "Beyond the Myth" (released in 2010) and this article: https://www.vintonva.gov/DocumentCenter ... Pit%20Bull., highlight how the media often misidentifies other dog breeds as pit bulls, includes breed names in headlines only when the breed is a pit bull but doesn't identify other breeds in headlines (example: a dog attack featuring a pit bull may include the headline "Pit Bull Attacks Child" whereas dog attacks featuring other breeds will include the headline "Family Dog Attacks Child"), and places pit bull attack stories "above the fold" or in more prominent locations than stories involving other breeds of dogs. All of this leads you, whether consciously or not, to believe that pit bulls are more dangerous than other breeds.

Now for the numbers you cited: Pit bulls accounted for 284 deaths <between 2005-2017>. This is a staggering 65% of the overall dog related deaths, at 433 Americans killed. - As of 2019, there are approximately 4.5 million pit bulls in the U.S. And that's only the ones we know about - it does not include pits which have been privately bred and abandoned, which will increase those numbers significantly. So in a span of 12 years, approximately .000 - whatever the [fork] percent - of pit bulls caused unfortunate deaths? And you want to put them in zoos based on such a small number of incidents per population? C'mon, that's ridiculous.

Finally, be wary of citing any stats from DogsBite.org. The founder, by her own admission, launched the site after she was bitten by a dog she identified as a pit bull and wanted to ban the breed of dog. She clearly has a bias. Their stats are often presented without context, are pulled mainly from media sites (see media bias above), and comments from anyone questioning the stats are routinely deleted.

I hops this helps.
Probably the best post ever seen on the Internet
Enward Van Halen
Forum User

Post by Enward Van Halen »

St LouieLouie wrote: 11 Jan 2021 23:36 pm
PSHS Dad wrote: 11 Jan 2021 13:04 pm
Paper Lanterns wrote: 10 Jan 2021 17:14 pm

Pit bulls are on every list of dangerous dogs - Okay. Which lists are these,
Type in "Dangerous dogs lists." I'm not going to type in all the lists. But they don't miss any of the ones I've seen.

When pits turn on people it sometimes is fatal and most times is serious and disfiguring - This has nothing to do with likelihood of attack and more to do with strength of attack. Yes, pit bulls are strong, thus a bite from one will incur more damage.
My point was not about the likeihood, but about the damage.
Your text is in blue.

There was a recent attack of three ladies by four dogs in Florissant. From the news coverage, they were said to be pit bulls. I wasn't there so I won't argue first hand knowledge. They certainly don't help their cause.
I used to go to a Bible study where the people who held it owned a pitbull.
This pitbull was a 50 pound female.

She always gave me the eye.
I Never liked it. :lol:
Maybe she was trained to spot fake Christia.....ah, never mind. Too easy.
PSHS Dad
Forum User

Post by PSHS Dad »

FRANKLIN COUNTY — The two pit bulls and a mixed-breed dog that mauled a woman to death early this week in Franklin County have all been euthanized by a local veterinarian. Leann Gratzer, 61, was killed Monday near St. Clair, Missouri, outside her daughter's home. The dogs were in a yard that had an underground invisible electric fence, Franklin County Sheriff Steve Pelton said in an interview Wednesday. No one witnessed the attack, the sheriff said. Gratzer was found dead in the yard. The daughter lives next door to Gratzer in the 2400 block of Highway TT, east of St. Clair, Missouri.

The sheriff said he can't find any record of past complaints to county officials that the dogs had been aggressive. And Gratzer never had an issue before with them, Pelton said. "It's such a sad situation," Pelton said. "She'd been around the dogs numerous times. I don't have an answer as to why the dogs attacked her."

Gratzer's family could not be reached. Two of the dogs were male pit bulls. The third dog was a female mixed breed. Gratzer's daughter and the daughter's roommate owned the dogs. The daughter called the mixed breed "my baby girl" in a post from September after the dog ran off in a storm. Monday's attack was reported to 911 about 5 p.m. By the time deputies arrived, the owners had put the dogs away in kennels, Pelton said. On Tuesday afternoon, a veterinarian euthanized the dogs.

"The owners were in agreement," Pelton said. As to the owners' responsibility, the sheriff said deputies will submit their report to the county's prosecutor for any decision about charges. Deputies are waiting for a final autopsy report with toxicology results, which could take weeks.

What a horrible way to die. I'm glad they wasted no time putting the dogs down.
The Nard
Forum User

Post by The Nard »

My daughter's fiancee has a female pit, raised from a puppy. She is the sweetest thing, comes right up to me, lays her head in my lap, then tries to be a lapdog. she'll stare me inthe face and talk to me when she wants something, like to go outside. I take her on long walks, where she is just like any other dog. She likes treats, playtime, and curls up in her bed when tired. Great companion, but has a bad case of halitosis. She treats my own dog like her pet, and in her household is another dog, and 2 housecats. No problems.

A lot depends on how those dogs are raised.
"Can't anyone here play this game?"
The Nard
Forum User

Post by The Nard »

And finally, Sergeant Stubby was a pit.

https://www.historyextra.com/period/fir ... n-history/
"Can't anyone here play this game?"
Shadowwalker
Forum User

Post by Shadowwalker »

Last week while walking my dog a young lady let two pit bulls out of there front door,they immediately made a bee line for my dog the young lady came out to help and I got between my dog and the one pitbull the young lady grabbed the other one.I got bit twice one one fairly deep on my forenfinger and the other on my bicep where there are four teeth marks and a nasty bruise.
They never got to my dog as the husband came out to help.After being a little shook up and bleeding covered in mud I walked my dog home.
I can’t blame the dogs as they were unattended which is something that should never happen.
If I was a person who could have not fought off the dogs my dog would have been severely injured or killed which would have broken my heart.
Please people keep your dogs intact and I will never walk my dogs again without my dog deterrent spray.
CDRShephard
Forum User

Post by CDRShephard »

Shadowwalker wrote: 23 Jan 2022 15:29 pm Last week while walking my dog a young lady let two pit bulls out of there front door,they immediately made a bee line for my dog the young lady came out to help and I got between my dog and the one pitbull the young lady grabbed the other one.I got bit twice one one fairly deep on my forenfinger and the other on my bicep where there are four teeth marks and a nasty bruise.
They never got to my dog as the husband came out to help.After being a little shook up and bleeding covered in mud I walked my dog home.
I can’t blame the dogs as they were unattended which is something that should never happen.
If I was a person who could have not fought off the dogs my dog would have been severely injured or killed which would have broken my heart.
Please people keep your dogs intact and I will never walk my dogs again without my dog deterrent spray.
I'm sorry to hear that. That sounds traumatic. Did you contact authorities? Those dogs should be put down if they're that out of control. They could go after a child or a person that's unable to defend their dog.
UCityGuy
Forum User

Post by UCityGuy »

Shadowwalker wrote: 23 Jan 2022 15:29 pm Last week while walking my dog a young lady let two pit bulls out of there front door,they immediately made a bee line for my dog the young lady came out to help and I got between my dog and the one pitbull the young lady grabbed the other one.I got bit twice one one fairly deep on my forenfinger and the other on my bicep where there are four teeth marks and a nasty bruise.
If it were me I would carry a gun. You should sue the pitbull owners for gross negligence.
UCityGuy
Forum User

Post by UCityGuy »

Another horrific pitbull attack. Woman in South Carolina mauled by 3 pits (got out of their yard) resulting in the amputation of both arms and a torn esophogus. Not a breed on earth more aggressive than pitbulls.
acco40
Forum User

Post by acco40 »

St LouieLouie wrote: 26 Aug 2020 15:34 pmPlus, I don't like Pit Bulls.
Pit Bulls can be an excellent judge of character. ;-)

The same folks who cry "it's not the gun, it's the person" are the first to blame the dog. Why?

The Problem With People, Not Pit Bulls
Jonathan Mozeliak
Forum User

Post by Jonathan Mozeliak »