Does anyone own a Pit bill?

Moderator: STLtoday Forum Moderators

txramfan
Forum User

Re: Does anyone own a Pit bill?

Post by txramfan »

Son has had 3, including 2 now and he has never a problem, personally, I do not like them.. But any dog can turn on you...

Merry Christmas Louie!!
St LouieLouie
Forum User

Post by St LouieLouie »

greasyspoon wrote: 26 Dec 2020 08:24 am
St LouieLouie wrote: 24 Aug 2020 23:20 pm I hope not.
Those dogs should be in zoos.
It figures this is coming from a radical religious freak. The stupidity and hypocrisy of your ilk is disgusting.
God bless you man.
Jesus replied, “No one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again.” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7_S2eRl ... re=related

Preaching Christ Crucified 24/7.
PSHS Dad
Forum User

Post by PSHS Dad »

Pit bulls are on EVERY list of the most dangerous dogs. Some insurance companies have refused to write policies for owners having these (and some other) dogs. Maybe any dog is capable of turning on you if you hurt it or scare it; but I believe pits will do it without the perceived threat to them. And if most dogs were to snap at you, it would probably cause a minor injury. When pits turn on people it sometimes is fatal and most times is serious and disfiguring. In any case I would never own a pit and I am leery of those who do. I realize I can't change anyone's mind about how they feel and I don't really care to. But if you have to argue the case for the safety of your dog, maybe there's a message there.
St LouieLouie
Forum User

Post by St LouieLouie »

PSHS Dad wrote: 27 Dec 2020 20:30 pm Pit bulls are on EVERY list of the most dangerous dogs. Some insurance companies have refused to write policies for owners having these (and some other) dogs. Maybe any dog is capable of turning on you if you hurt it or scare it; but I believe pits will do it without the perceived threat to them. And if most dogs were to snap at you, it would probably cause a minor injury. When pits turn on people it sometimes is fatal and most times is serious and disfiguring. In any case I would never own a pit and I am leery of those who do. I realize I can't change anyone's mind about how they feel and I don't really care to. But if you have to argue the case for the safety of your dog, maybe there's a message there.
Amen.

Get a Samoyed. :wink:
Jesus replied, “No one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again.” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7_S2eRl ... re=related

PSHS Dad
Forum User

Post by PSHS Dad »

St LouieLouie wrote: 27 Dec 2020 21:25 pm
PSHS Dad wrote: 27 Dec 2020 20:30 pm Pit bulls are on EVERY list of the most dangerous dogs. Some insurance companies have refused to write policies for owners having these (and some other) dogs. Maybe any dog is capable of turning on you if you hurt it or scare it; but I believe pits will do it without the perceived threat to them. And if most dogs were to snap at you, it would probably cause a minor injury. When pits turn on people it sometimes is fatal and most times is serious and disfiguring. In any case I would never own a pit and I am leery of those who do. I realize I can't change anyone's mind about how they feel and I don't really care to. But if you have to argue the case for the safety of your dog, maybe there's a message there.
Amen.

Samoyeds are pretty dogs but a little too furry for me. By that I mean the maintenance. Great disposition, though.
St LouieLouie
Forum User

Post by St LouieLouie »

PSHS Dad wrote: 29 Dec 2020 11:07 am
Amen.

Samoyeds are pretty dogs but a little too furry for me. By that I mean the maintenance. Great disposition, though.
The white hair around the house can get pretty intense.
It gets on everything.
My wife liked to put it in those huge hefty bags. :wink:

PSHS Dad
Forum User

Post by PSHS Dad »

St LouieLouie wrote: 29 Dec 2020 11:53 am
Amen.

It gets on everything.
I know that this topic is all but dead but I noticed that there are a sizeable number of articles wherein shelters are being criticized for placing pit bulls by classifying them as "mixed" breeds of other dogs. I looked at that because I have an acquaintance who adopted an alleged "Boxer mix". A few weeks after adopting it it became obvious from its build and facial structure that it was predominant Pit. She asked the shelter about that and learned that they do that because they feel that if they call them "Pit mix" no one will take them. But they feel they are okay. ONCE AGAIN: If you have to lie in order to place one of these animals, what are you thinking?? If that person was to adopt that dog and it mauled someone (because that's what they do), and that person's insurance company just happens to be one of those that does not insure those animals, someone is going to lose BIG TIME! And I have the feeling those shelters will be held very responsible.
St LouieLouie
Forum User

Post by St LouieLouie »

PSHS Dad wrote: 01 Jan 2021 11:58 am
St LouieLouie wrote: 29 Dec 2020 11:53 am
Amen.

It gets on everything.
I know that this topic is all but dead but I noticed that there are a sizeable number of articles wherein shelters are being criticized for placing pit bulls by classifying them as "mixed" breeds of other dogs. I looked at that because I have an acquaintance who adopted an alleged "Boxer mix". A few weeks after adopting it it became obvious from its build and facial structure that it was predominant Pit. She asked the shelter about that and learned that they do that because they feel that if they call them "Pit mix" no one will take them. But they feel they are okay. ONCE AGAIN: If you have to lie in order to place one of these animals, what are you thinking?? If that person was to adopt that dog and it mauled someone (because that's what they do), and that person's insurance company just happens to be one of those that does not insure those animals, someone is going to lose BIG TIME! And I have the feeling those shelters will be held very responsible.
How many pitbull attacks are there per year?
The following infographic shows that the Pit Bull is still responsible for the most fatal attacks in the U.S. by far, killing 284 people over that 13-year period - 66 percent of total fatalities. That's despite the breed accounting for just 6.5% of the total U.S. dog population.

Pit bulls inflicted 62% (46) of these deaths, over 11 times more than any other dog breed. From 2005 to 2019, family dogs inflicted 54% of all fatal attacks. 65% were perpetrated by pit bulls. Of the 346 fatal pit bull attacks during the period, over half, 53%, involved killing a family or household member.Jul 20, 2020

Quick Statistics - U.S. Dog Bite Statistics - DogsBite.org

Pit Bull Bite Statistics

According to Canine Journal, an organization that compiles and analyzes all of the dog bite attacks in the country, Pit bulls accounted for 284 deaths in those years. This is a staggering 65% of the overall dog related deaths, at 433 Americans killed between 2005 and 2017.

PSHS Dad
Forum User

Post by PSHS Dad »

Louie, I think the point is well established. Lions and tigers are cute and cuddly, also. But the fact of the matter is what you said originally: They belong in zoos.
St LouieLouie
Forum User

Post by St LouieLouie »

PSHS Dad wrote: 04 Jan 2021 09:06 am Louie, I think the point is well established. Lions and tigers are cute and cuddly, also. But the fact of the matter is what you said originally: They belong in zoos.
I have seen young families out with small babies walking their Pitbull.
It makes me just shake my head. :roll:

Scary.

Paper Lanterns
Forum User

Post by Paper Lanterns »

I recognize this thread doesn't get a lot of traffic but thought I'd respond. I may have a bias because I am an owner of a pit bull and I have a child; I also recognize that apparently even owning a pit bull makes some of the posters here "shake their heads" at me or "leery of" me. That's fine, but I'd like to present my side.

Pit bulls are on every list of dangerous dogs - Okay. Which lists are these, and can you share them (please don't include BuzzFeed or other silly listicles that just crowdsource anonymous internet users)? Because I have a list of my own: the list of organizations that acknowledge no breed is inherently dangerous and no breed, including pit bulls, is more or less likely to harm you:

* American Dog Owners Association

* American Humane Society

* American Kennel Club (AKC)

* American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA)

* American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA)

* American Working Dog Federation

* Association of Pet Dog Trainers

* Best Friends Animal Society

* Centers for Disease Control

* Humane Society of the United States (HSUS)

* International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants

* International Association of Canine Professionals

* National Animal Control Association

* National Animal Interest Alliance

* National Association of Dog Obedience Instructors

* National Canine Research Council

* No Kill Advocacy Center

When pits turn on people it sometimes is fatal and most times is serious and disfiguring - This has nothing to do with likelihood of attack and more to do with strength of attack. Yes, pit bulls are strong, thus a bite from one will incur more damage. But why aren't you starting threads about, or criticizing owners of, Mastiffs, Rottweilers, Bulldogs or German Shepards, who all have stronger bites than pits? (https://www.timeforpaws.co.uk/s/dogs-wi ... bite-force)

And that leads me into society/media bias - When I was a kid in the 90's, the "most dangerous dogs", at least according to society and the media, were Rotts and German Shepards. Why? Because that's what Hollywood and the press told us. In fact, that same Hollywood and press told us that pit bulls were great dogs. They were featured as corporate mascots and used in American recruiting posters in WWI and WWII. They were nicknamed "nanny dogs" because of their patience around and affinity for children (remember the Lil' Rascals? Yep, their beloved dog was a pit bull).

Now as we shift into the 00's, pit bulls are the new "most dangerous dog". Don't believe media bias is a thing in regards to dogs? The documentary "Beyond the Myth" (released in 2010) and this article: https://www.vintonva.gov/DocumentCenter ... Pit%20Bull., highlight how the media often misidentifies other dog breeds as pit bulls, includes breed names in headlines only when the breed is a pit bull but doesn't identify other breeds in headlines (example: a dog attack featuring a pit bull may include the headline "Pit Bull Attacks Child" whereas dog attacks featuring other breeds will include the headline "Family Dog Attacks Child"), and places pit bull attack stories "above the fold" or in more prominent locations than stories involving other breeds of dogs. All of this leads you, whether consciously or not, to believe that pit bulls are more dangerous than other breeds.

Now for the numbers you cited: Pit bulls accounted for 284 deaths <between 2005-2017>. This is a staggering 65% of the overall dog related deaths, at 433 Americans killed. - As of 2019, there are approximately 4.5 million pit bulls in the U.S. And that's only the ones we know about - it does not include pits which have been privately bred and abandoned, which will increase those numbers significantly. So in a span of 12 years, approximately .000 - whatever the [fork] percent - of pit bulls caused unfortunate deaths? And you want to put them in zoos based on such a small number of incidents per population? C'mon, that's ridiculous.

Finally, be wary of citing any stats from DogsBite.org. The founder, by her own admission, launched the site after she was bitten by a dog she identified as a pit bull and wanted to ban the breed of dog. She clearly has a bias. Their stats are often presented without context, are pulled mainly from media sites (see media bias above), and comments from anyone questioning the stats are routinely deleted.

I hops this helps.
St LouieLouie
Forum User

Post by St LouieLouie »

Paper Lanterns wrote: 10 Jan 2021 17:14 pm I recognize this thread doesn't get a lot of traffic but thought I'd respond. I may have a bias because I am an owner of a pit bull and I have a child; I also recognize that apparently even owning a pit bull makes some of the posters here "shake their heads" at me or "leery of" me. That's fine, but I'd like to present my side.

Pit bulls are on every list of dangerous dogs - Okay. Which lists are these, and can you share them (please don't include BuzzFeed or other silly listicles that just crowdsource anonymous internet users)? Because I have a list of my own: the list of organizations that acknowledge no breed is inherently dangerous and no breed, including pit bulls, is more or less likely to harm you:

* American Dog Owners Association

* American Humane Society

* American Kennel Club (AKC)

* American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA)

* American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA)

* American Working Dog Federation

* Association of Pet Dog Trainers

* Best Friends Animal Society

* Centers for Disease Control

* Humane Society of the United States (HSUS)

* International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants

* International Association of Canine Professionals

* National Animal Control Association

* National Animal Interest Alliance

* National Association of Dog Obedience Instructors

* National Canine Research Council

* No Kill Advocacy Center

When pits turn on people it sometimes is fatal and most times is serious and disfiguring - This has nothing to do with likelihood of attack and more to do with strength of attack. Yes, pit bulls are strong, thus a bite from one will incur more damage. But why aren't you starting threads about, or criticizing owners of, Mastiffs, Rottweilers, Bulldogs or German Shepards, who all have stronger bites than pits? (https://www.timeforpaws.co.uk/s/dogs-wi ... bite-force)

And that leads me into society/media bias - When I was a kid in the 90's, the "most dangerous dogs", at least according to society and the media, were Rotts and German Shepards. Why? Because that's what Hollywood and the press told us. In fact, that same Hollywood and press told us that pit bulls were great dogs. They were featured as corporate mascots and used in American recruiting posters in WWI and WWII. They were nicknamed "nanny dogs" because of their patience around and affinity for children (remember the Lil' Rascals? Yep, their beloved dog was a pit bull).

Now as we shift into the 00's, pit bulls are the new "most dangerous dog". Don't believe media bias is a thing in regards to dogs? The documentary "Beyond the Myth" (released in 2010) and this article: https://www.vintonva.gov/DocumentCenter ... Pit%20Bull., highlight how the media often misidentifies other dog breeds as pit bulls, includes breed names in headlines only when the breed is a pit bull but doesn't identify other breeds in headlines (example: a dog attack featuring a pit bull may include the headline "Pit Bull Attacks Child" whereas dog attacks featuring other breeds will include the headline "Family Dog Attacks Child"), and places pit bull attack stories "above the fold" or in more prominent locations than stories involving other breeds of dogs. All of this leads you, whether consciously or not, to believe that pit bulls are more dangerous than other breeds.

Now for the numbers you cited: Pit bulls accounted for 284 deaths <between 2005-2017>. This is a staggering 65% of the overall dog related deaths, at 433 Americans killed. - As of 2019, there are approximately 4.5 million pit bulls in the U.S. And that's only the ones we know about - it does not include pits which have been privately bred and abandoned, which will increase those numbers significantly. So in a span of 12 years, approximately .000 - whatever the [fork] percent - of pit bulls caused unfortunate deaths? And you want to put them in zoos based on such a small number of incidents per population? C'mon, that's ridiculous.

Finally, be wary of citing any stats from DogsBite.org. The founder, by her own admission, launched the site after she was bitten by a dog she identified as a pit bull and wanted to ban the breed of dog. She clearly has a bias. Their stats are often presented without context, are pulled mainly from media sites (see media bias above), and comments from anyone questioning the stats are routinely deleted.

I hops this helps.
One of the reasons I am against pitbulls is that one got out of it's yard and killed my Samoyed's father.
A mean killing machine v.s a sweet dog that wouldn't harm a flea.
It was over fast.

To each his own but I don't trust them one little bit.

When is the last time you've heard of a golden retriever killing someone?
Or a Samoyed, or a border collie?

Just doesn't happen.

PSHS Dad
Forum User

Post by PSHS Dad »

Paper Lanterns wrote: 10 Jan 2021 17:14 pm

Pit bulls are on every list of dangerous dogs - Okay. Which lists are these,
Type in "Dangerous dogs lists." I'm not going to type in all the lists. But they don't miss any of the ones I've seen.

When pits turn on people it sometimes is fatal and most times is serious and disfiguring - This has nothing to do with likelihood of attack and more to do with strength of attack. Yes, pit bulls are strong, thus a bite from one will incur more damage.
My point was not about the likeihood, but about the damage.
Your text is in blue.

There was a recent attack of three ladies by four dogs in Florissant. From the news coverage, they were said to be pit bulls. I wasn't there so I won't argue first hand knowledge. They certainly don't help their cause.
St LouieLouie
Forum User

Post by St LouieLouie »

PSHS Dad wrote: 11 Jan 2021 13:04 pm
Paper Lanterns wrote: 10 Jan 2021 17:14 pm

Pit bulls are on every list of dangerous dogs - Okay. Which lists are these,
Type in "Dangerous dogs lists." I'm not going to type in all the lists. But they don't miss any of the ones I've seen.

When pits turn on people it sometimes is fatal and most times is serious and disfiguring - This has nothing to do with likelihood of attack and more to do with strength of attack. Yes, pit bulls are strong, thus a bite from one will incur more damage.
My point was not about the likeihood, but about the damage.
Your text is in blue.

There was a recent attack of three ladies by four dogs in Florissant. From the news coverage, they were said to be pit bulls. I wasn't there so I won't argue first hand knowledge. They certainly don't help their cause.
I used to go to a Bible study where the people who held it owned a pitbull.
This pitbull was a 50 pound female.

She always gave me the eye.
I Never liked it. :lol:

St LouieLouie
Forum User

Post by St LouieLouie »

GRAPHIC: Girl, 3, bitten by dog wearing service vest in Texas restaurant
Updated January 12 at 6:07 AM

SPRING, Texas (KTRK) - A 3-year-old girl is recovering from receiving several stitches in the face after she was attacked by a dog wearing a service vest inside a Texas restaurant.

Ronin Waldroup, 3, and her family had just arrived Saturday at the Loose Caboose, a restaurant in Spring, Texas, with a close family friend. The toddler was leading the group to the line to order when she came face-to-face with a dog wearing a service vest that the family described as a pit bull.

Ronin Waldroup, 3, received stitches in her face after she was bitten by a dog. Her mother said the doctors did not believe she would have bad scarring but did suggest she follow up with a plastic surgeon.
Ronin Waldroup, 3, received stitches in her face after she was bitten by a dog. Her mother said the doctors did not believe she would have bad scarring but did suggest she follow up with a plastic surgeon. (Source: KTRK via CNN)
The family friend, Kimberly Parker, was right behind Ronin when she was attacked by the dog.

“It had a hold of her face, shook her,” Parker said. “The lady pulled on the leash, the dog released her and she just dropped like a rag doll.”

Parker handed Ronin off to her mother, Cleveratta Gordon-Waldroup, who took her to the bathroom to assess her injuries. Ronin’s father, James Waldroup, found them in the bathroom and asked what happened.

“Her best friend Kim says, ‘She was bit by a dog,’” he recalled. “I turned around and go, ‘What dog?’ And two people at the doorframe said, ‘She’s running that way.’ I broke and ran.”

Waldroup chased the woman and the dog down the street to her car. He said he told the woman she needed to stay because there was an accident.

“She yells at me, ‘It was your daughter’s fault,’” the father said.

In video of the scene, the dog owner can be seen being driven away by a man. Waldroup was able to get a photo of the woman and her license plate.

Ronin was taken to the hospital, where she received stitches. Her mother said the doctors did not believe she would have bad scarring but did suggest she follow up with a plastic surgeon.

“My husband and I walked in our bedroom, and she has my makeup brushes, trying to put makeup on her face. I asked her, ‘What is wrong? Why are you doing that?’” Gordon-Waldroup said. “For a 3-year-old to turn to me and say, ‘Mommy, I’m ugly,’ it’s earth-shattering.”

The family has set up a GoFundMe to cover Ronin’s future medical expenses.

The Harris County Sheriff’s Office said they do know who owns the dog and have a meeting scheduled with her. Information will be passed on to the district attorney’s office to determine if charges are warranted.

Copyright 2021 KTRK via CNN Newsource.

PSHS Dad
Forum User

Post by PSHS Dad »

This "service animal" thing is a joke. I saw a guy in Dierberg's with his dog. If you're so psychologically weak that you need your dog or cat or ferret to survive in social settings, then stay home and use Instacart. But then to have a pit bull as your service dog? Seriously? 8O. Why not a python or Boa Constrictor? I feel bad for that kid.