STLFTBL Rant on Real Football vs the Spread

Got an opinion or question about high school sports? Let's hear it.

[Complete prep sports coverage on STLtoday.com]

Moderator: STLtoday Forum Moderators

STLFTBL
Forum User

STLFTBL Rant on Real Football vs the Spread

Post by STLFTBL »

Wow!!! After watching East St. Louis lose to Cary-Grove, it reminded me of what real football looks like vs THE SPREAD. I know it is the going thing in college and high school football, but watching Cary-Grove run the option the way it did brought back some memories of Sumner Football. Carl Reed, I expect to see DeSmet going to the Grambling Offense!!! The Spread is fun to watch and it is high scoring, but there is something to be said on when you can line up man on man and beat up your opponent. Now I know the SPREAD is hear to stay, but I have always thought that teams need to do different things for different situations. Used to love it when a team runs the Spread down to the goal line and then runs the T or the Wishbone on the goal line. Now this sounds crazy, but the SPREAD vs SPREAD games are nothing but glorified 7 on 7's.

Interesting, but looking at our teams for next weekend, I look for Holt and Lutheran SC to having tough tests as they play Webb City and Lamar, two teams who do not run the spread but do run their offenses very efficiently. If you do not see these offenses that these teams run, it becomes difficult to replicate and prepare for.

But I did post that Luther Burden would score 4 touchdowns in an East Side win, but he only scored three. Nothing to be ashamed about Flyers, but it does not feel good when you get punched in the mouth like you did today. If only Luther could have scored one more, but I can not wait to see him at Mizzou next year.
paulg67
Forum User

Re: STLFTBL Rant on Real Football vs the Spread

Post by paulg67 »

It was fun to watch.I didn't think it could work on that level.But it did East Side only got the ball once in the 4th qtr with 3 min left in the game.So that style of play controls the clock.
Can never count out Webb or Lamar
Very hard to prepare for
Hopefully our Holt and LSC can
LSC looked dominant against a normal class 2 team.
STLFTBL
Forum User

Post by STLFTBL »

Paul

One way to beat a team that scores a lot is to keep the ball away and control the clock. I remember in 1990s when McCluer used to have their trainer keeping the time clock on the field so they could take up as much time as possible to limit the other teams possession. If I remember correctly, they went to the state title game.

I thought Cary-Grove deferring the coin toss would hurt them when Luther broke off the first TD. But they came back and controlled the clock from there. And yes, Lamar and Webb City do not run the spread, so I worry about Lutheran SC and Holt. But we shall see. To beat an option team you must get up early, but be disciplined on defense.
mizfan
Forum User

Post by mizfan »

Lutheran St. Charles will be fine and in the game as they have 6A kids playing 2A football.

Holt on the other hand is in trouble as they lost their QB which is a tremendous talent.

That is no shot on the new QB as he is a nice runner and Holt has weapons but when Jackson gets beat by a team by double digits and Holt can't play with a full deck it's going to be a major factor in the end.
bigbri
Forum User

Post by bigbri »

STLFTBL wrote: 27 Nov 2021 21:18 pm Wow!!! After watching East St. Louis lose to Cary-Grove, it reminded me of what real football looks like vs THE SPREAD. I know it is the going thing in college and high school football, but watching Cary-Grove run the option the way it did brought back some memories of Sumner Football. Carl Reed, I expect to see DeSmet going to the Grambling Offense!!! The Spread is fun to watch and it is high scoring, but there is something to be said on when you can line up man on man and beat up your opponent. Now I know the SPREAD is hear to stay, but I have always thought that teams need to do different things for different situations. Used to love it when a team runs the Spread down to the goal line and then runs the T or the Wishbone on the goal line. Now this sounds crazy, but the SPREAD vs SPREAD games are nothing but glorified 7 on 7's.

Interesting, but looking at our teams for next weekend, I look for Holt and Lutheran SC to having tough tests as they play Webb City and Lamar, two teams who do not run the spread but do run their offenses very efficiently. If you do not see these offenses that these teams run, it becomes difficult to replicate and prepare for.

But I did post that Luther Burden would score 4 touchdowns in an East Side win, but he only scored three. Nothing to be ashamed about Flyers, but it does not feel good when you get punched in the mouth like you did today. If only Luther could have scored one more, but I can not wait to see him at Mizzou next year.
I couldn't agree more. I enjoy watching a team play good ole smash-mouth football. How often do we see the spread teams that can have success in optimal weather conditions on nice turf, only to struggle mightily when the weather turns, the wind blows and you have to get down to basics?
Red7
Forum User

Post by Red7 »

On Saturday, NWMSU played Harding. Harding played a double-wing option offense. NWMSU had a tough time with Harding’s ground game, but they made Harding go on 15-17 play drives before stiffening. Harding missed an XP, a FG, and had a FG blocked. Where NWMSU had a advantage though is Harding couldn’t defend the pass. I think the big reason was they never practiced against the pass (Harding couldn’t throw a pass to save their lives). While Harding played “old time football”, it showed the weakness of having a one-dimensional offense.
Truthseeker23
Forum User

Post by Truthseeker23 »

Lutheran SC/Lamar a Lamar fan perspective.

Lutheran presents a slew of differences from teams Lamar typically plays (outside of the playoffs)

Lutheran is really fast, slow but accurate and smart QB. Really good RB and a WR who can hold his own. Good/great line play.

Lamar doesn’t spin anymore, not since 2018. Lamar is the fastest team (in class 2) that Lutheran has faced this year. Defense is really good, but what worries me is we sometimes allow a few big plays before we clamp things down. It’s been one of those things this year. LSC has the talent to score on a big play.

I think LSC wins if they get up big (like they have done in most wins this year) BUT if it’s a close game absolutely advantage Lamar. I think LSC has better athletes in their stars. It’s just reality. Once again though Lamar’s line play is tough and athletic. The motors don’t stop. Our best player who missed most of the season is back. I think this will be a close game. I think Lamar wins. But LSC winning wouldn’t surprise me AT ALL and this will be toughest team they have faced all season. Was very impressed watching film. I’ll be nervous all game lol Hope for a injury free, exciting game.