Peter Jackson's "Get Back" Beatles Documentary - Disney +

Moderator: STLtoday Forum Moderators

Rumblefish
Forum User

Peter Jackson's "Get Back" Beatles Documentary - Disney +

Post by Rumblefish »

Not sure whether this belongs here or on Tube Talk, but if you're a diehard Beatle's fan, it's worth the 8 hours (over 3 episodes); if you're a more casual fan, skip straight to Ep. 3 and the 45 minute rooftop performance.

Showing now on Disney +.

Rumblefish
Sixto Lezcano
Forum User

Re: Peter Jackson's "Get Back" Beatles Documentary - Disney +

Post by Sixto Lezcano »

Rumblefish wrote: 27 Nov 2021 11:00 am Not sure whether this belongs here or on Tube Talk, ...

Rumblefish
You will need prior authorization from Dicktar to post here in the future.
Begin the Beguine
Dicktar
Forum User

Post by Dicktar »

Rumblefish wrote: 27 Nov 2021 11:00 am Not sure whether this belongs here or on Tube Talk, but if you're a diehard Beatle's fan, it's worth the 8 hours (over 3 episodes); if you're a more casual fan, skip straight to Ep. 3 and the 45 minute rooftop performance.

Showing now on Disney +.

Rumblefish
Making it was a labor of love, and so is watching it all.

I thought it was a bit of a slog at times, but really great as both a historical document and a (very granular) look at the agony and ecstasy of the creative process.

But it's uncanny. It's like Jackson actually went back in time and filmed his own documentary about the making of Let It Be.
Rumblefish
Forum User

Post by Rumblefish »

Dicktar wrote: 28 Nov 2021 22:33 pm
Rumblefish wrote: 27 Nov 2021 11:00 am Not sure whether this belongs here or on Tube Talk, but if you're a diehard Beatle's fan, it's worth the 8 hours (over 3 episodes); if you're a more casual fan, skip straight to Ep. 3 and the 45 minute rooftop performance.

Showing now on Disney +.

Rumblefish
Making it was a labor of love, and so is watching it all.

I thought it was a bit of a slog at times, but really great as both a historical document and a (very granular) look at the agony and ecstasy of the creative process.

But it's uncanny. It's like Jackson actually went back in time and filmed his own documentary about the making of Let It Be.
Yeah, it is a bit of a slog at times, but that's band practice too, yeah?

That is, I can't play an instrument to save my soul, but my oldest and youngest brothers are both musicians (older is guitarist; youngest is guitarist and keyboards). Oldest had his own band after college and cut a demo 45 (yeah, way back then) and, up until a few years ago (he's 70 now) played in three different cover bands - including one with youngest brother, brother-in-law, etc. Youngest had his own band after college and still writes his own songs putting them on the internet. I've also been lucky enough to have worked several "Farm Aids" in both production and non-production capacities -- being around several days before (and the day after during tear down) --- watching sound checks, etc.

So, I've gotten to be "one of those people" sitting around the edge at band practices and witnessed both the function and dysfunction, the seriousness and silliness, the joy and "the boy this is work" of it all.

What's the word? Verisimilitude? Yeah, the Jackson Beatle series has that. At least its MY experience that it "feels right."

Me? I'd watch all of the outtakes and pay for the privilege. :lol: :lol:

Rumblefish
DocRedbird
Forum User

Post by DocRedbird »

As I was watching it I was thinking, "I am loving this, but I would not recommend this to almost anyone I know". I agree that your assessment re: the casual fan skipping to the rooftop performance in Episode 3.

Dicktar wrote: 28 Nov 2021 22:33 pm But it's uncanny. It's like Jackson actually went back in time and filmed his own documentary about the making of Let It Be.
I admit I may have a myopic view of what I think a "director" does, but it almost seems like there should be another designation for what Jackson did here. (although I guess the job description is always somewhat different in documentaries compared to feature films)
Rumblefish
Forum User

Post by Rumblefish »

DocRedbird wrote: 30 Nov 2021 00:26 am
As I was watching it I was thinking, "I am loving this, but I would not recommend this to almost anyone I know". I agree that your assessment re: the casual fan skipping to the rooftop performance in Episode 3.

Dicktar wrote: 28 Nov 2021 22:33 pm But it's uncanny. It's like Jackson actually went back in time and filmed his own documentary about the making of Let It Be.
I admit I may have a myopic view of what I think a "director" does, but it almost seems like there should be another designation for what Jackson did here. (although I guess the job description is always somewhat different in documentaries compared to feature films)
It's remarkable that a few months after "Beatles (the White album), they started in on this (Get Back/Let it Be), and, then, followed up a few months later with Abbey Road.

I hadn't really connected the timeline before.

Rumblefish
todd-parker
Forum User

Post by todd-parker »

Subject matter notwithstanding, are there documentarian style similarities between “Get Back” and “They Shall Not Grow Old”? It seems both films aren’t really making a statement or telling a story but rather highlighting some new film technique (colorization) or newly unearthed footage (Get Back) to just show how things were at the time.
DocRedbird
Forum User

Post by DocRedbird »

Rumblefish wrote: 30 Nov 2021 09:59 am
DocRedbird wrote: 30 Nov 2021 00:26 am

It's remarkable that a few months after "Beatles (the White album), they started in on this (Get Back/Let it Be), and, then, followed up a few months later with Abbey Road.

I hadn't really connected the timeline before.

Rumblefish
Which segues right in to a debate among Beatles fans: what is the "last" Beatles album? Abbey Road (last recorded) or "Let it Be" (last released).
Rumblefish
Forum User

Post by Rumblefish »

todd-parker wrote: 30 Nov 2021 10:19 am Subject matter notwithstanding, are there documentarian style similarities between “Get Back” and “They Shall Not Grow Old”? It seems both films aren’t really making a statement or telling a story but rather highlighting some new film technique (colorization) or newly unearthed footage (Get Back) to just show how things were at the time.
Hmmmm....I'd disagree that "Get Back" isn't telling a story.

Remember (if you're old enough) the original film footage WAS made into a documentary "Let it Be" (released in 1970).

The "Let it Be" 1970 film, fairly or unfairly, is generally remembered as documenting the Beatles breakup and is generally regarded focusing a lot on the tension among the band mates.

"Get Back" is - I'd say - a much "rounder/rounded/nuanced" view of the making of (what eventually became) the "Let it Be" album. Yeah, there's tension...but there's true respect, care, and fun too.

Rumblefish
Dicktar
Forum User

Post by Dicktar »

DocRedbird wrote: 30 Nov 2021 12:41 pm Which segues right in to a debate among Beatles fans: what is the "last" Beatles album? Abbey Road (last recorded) or "Let it Be" (last released).
That one's a killer on trivia night.
bud white
Forum User

Post by bud white »

While Macca is working his butt off to keep the band afloat ... Lennon really isn't into it. You can just tell from his body language that he's ready to move on.

And Harrison ... well his body language says "I'm sick and tired of being ignored. I have a stockpile of tunes that are ready." In fact, in the Episode One you'll see them working on "All Things Must Pass" for a nanosecond. Then Paul needs more anvil takes on Maxwell's Silver Hammer...

On top of that, you hear banter about getting Clapton to join in. I would imagine that put George over the edge - as well it should have.

Suffice to say, George releases not a double album .. but a triple album just loaded with extraordinary work.